It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Members Survey Responses
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:23 am 

MEMBERS SURVEY

Last November I decided to create a survey to ascertain the views/feelings of the members as to why there has been a noticeable decrease in members attending qualifiers. I was disappointed as to the amount of responses I collected (76 respondents). However, it should give a glimpse of what the members are thinking. I asked a total of 7 questions for the members to think about. Here are the results, as follows:

Q 1. Due to the decrease in members attending qualifiers (especially this year) what would you suggest would improve attendance?

There was various responses to this question: from allowing bait boats (don't go there!!); providing for static anglers (was mentioned a few times); scales check; better venues; creating a sub-committee to choose venues; not advertising venues until the day before competition; a perception of a clique (whether real or not) that a chosen few are given privileged information,etc.

Q 2. Do you think the qualifiers should be kept secret until the morning of the qualifier?
Yes: 57.75%
No: 42.25%

Q 3. Should the qualifiers be randomised?

Yes: 75.38%
No: 24.62%

I received a bit of criticism in relation to this question. With some members stating they didn't understand the question. In retrospect I should have simplified the question somewhat. My question was aiming at shuffling the chosen venues near the time a qualifier was due in order to "throw" anglers off the scent - so to speak.

Q 4. Due to the controversy in relation to how the final was handled i.e., how the venue was chosen, etc. Do you believe a solution would be is to set up an independent sub-committee to choose the venue for the final, and for that committee be charged with all the other work that needs to be done to organise a successful final?

No: 24.62%

A lot comments in relation to the above are advocating setting up a sub-committee tasked with the above. Fifty-fifty saying qualified/non-qualified members should be solely on this committee.

Q 5. Does IFPAC's constitution need to be modernised?

Yes: 83.33%
No: 16.67%

Big percentage (4 out of 5 respondents) in favour of modernising IFPAC's constitution - obviously needs to be looked at.

Q 6. Do you think there are other factors, such as: cheating, inside knowledge of chosen venues, etc. That is affecting the turnout at the qualifiers?

Yes: 91.30%
No: 8.70%

The above percentage is a worrisome development, it basically means 9 out of 10 respondents feel there, shall we say: sleight-of-hand at play...needs more research to counteract this. Caveat: although this is a small sample of the total members who fish qualifiers we could safely extrapolate the sample as representative of the active members as a whole.

Q 7. Finally, is there anything else you would like to add to this survey that you is important?
Again, there was various responses to this question, such as: Stewards should be appointed for all qualifiers with their expenses paid; education of good piking skills; more advertisement and information given; stop the practice of towing fish in keepsacks - fish should be weighed immediately; some qualifiers changed to heaviest fish format.
And much more interesting comments - too many to show for fear of boring the reader!

Fergal Bell
Communications Officer/Webmaster
IFPAC.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Members Survey Responses
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:08 am 

F Bell wrote:
MEMBERS SURVEY

And much more interesting comments - too many to show for fear of boring the reader!

Fergal Bell
Communications Officer/Webmaster
IFPAC.

Bored smored,put em up,I need a laugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:56 pm 

WOW!!, Well it looks very obvious the answer to why the attendance is falling off , 90% believe there's antics going on. Weather correct or not ,it has to be acted upon, and it cant be rectified by a band -aid or a move sideways 90% is a colossal amount. Who'd bother paying into something if they think its boogy.. This requires o whole new rethink of everything or the qualifiers will die off completely. That looks a right slant on IFPAC reputation , officially and with GB boys

Fergal or whoever came up with the idea of this survey deserves a slap on the back, well done and i 'd say it was a bitch of a job . Its thrown up where the problems lie. Now the hard job begins of coming up with a drastic solution asap, try restore some respect and reputation to IFPAC. I'd hate to see the qualifiers die off. But it was plain to see they'd lost their attraction for long while.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:35 pm 

Jimmy Thompson wrote:
WOW!!, Well it looks very obvious the answer to why the attendance is falling off , 90% believe there's antics going on. Weather correct or not ,it has to be acted upon, and it cant be rectified by a band -aid or a move sideways 90% is a colossal amount. Who'd bother paying into something if they think its boogy.. This requires o whole new rethink of everything or the qualifiers will die off completely. That looks a right slant on IFPAC reputation , officially and with GB boys

Fergal or whoever came up with the idea of this survey deserves a slap on the back, well done and i 'd say it was a bitch of a job . Its thrown up where the problems lie. Now the hard job begins of coming up with a drastic solution asap, try restore some respect and reputation to IFPAC. I'd hate to see the qualifiers die off. But it was plain to see they'd lost their attraction for long while.

Last November I decided to create a survey...

Thanks Jimmy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:07 pm 

Well done fargel you had the b...s to start this survey on the problems within ifpac all we need is the committee to put forward the anglers views, afterall without the anglers there is no ifpac ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:30 pm 

F Bell wrote:
Jimmy Thompson wrote:

Last November I decided to create a survey...

Thanks Jimmy.

well done fergal and I agree with jimmy,a rethink of everything is needed soon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:32 pm 

Well done on the Survey Fergal. It just shows what people are thinking. For over 90% that did fill it out to think that there is something dodgy going on says a lot. The whole thing needs to be broken down and looked at. I can only imagine what the members think that didn't bother to fill it out. I hope the committee will take this on board and have a really hard look at it before the agm. Over 90% of the people aren't wrong. The suspicions don't come from nowhere. That is a major issue that needs sorting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:52 pm 

Q 1. Due to the decrease in members attending qualifiers (especially this year) what would you suggest would improve attendant not advertising venues until the day before competition;

Q 2. Do you think the qualifiers should be kept secret until the morning of the qualifier?
Yes: 57.75%
No: 42.25% The venue, But people need to know what area their traveling to for car pooling etc

Q 3. Should the qualifiers be randomised?

No: 24.62% They are already.

Q 4. Due to the controversy in relation to how the final was handled i.e., how the venue was chosen, etc. Do you believe a solution would be is to set up an independent sub-committee to choose the venue for the final, and for that committee be charged with all the other work that needs to be done to organise a successful final?

No: 24.62% This was spoken about before at last year's AGM and never acted upon.

A lot comments in relation to the above are advocating setting up a sub-committee tasked with the above. Fifty-fifty saying qualified/non-qualified members should be solely on this committee.

Q 5. Does IFPAC's constitution need to be modernised?

Yes: 83.33%
No: 16.67%

Big percentage (4 out of 5 respondents) in favour of modernising IFPAC's constitution - obviously needs to be looked at.

Q 6. Do you think there are other factors, such as: cheating, inside knowledge of chosen venues, etc. That is affecting the turnout at the qualifiers?

Yes: 91.30%
No: 8.70% With all the fishing that goes on anglers are getting to know more and more venue's and therefore goes to their hotshots, As regards cheating. cheats will do this anyway.

A lot of time and work looks to have went into this survey so good work Fergal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 pm 

Thanks Brendan for your helpful comments...Fergal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:58 pm 

Iwouldnt say cheating more like people knowing waters like the back of there hand i havent been 2 a quialifer in 3 years havent been fishing at all anyho what about the final in england for the change just looking the venues for this year an i know most of them :shock:

Offline Profile