It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: PIKE ARE NATIVE - IFI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 pm 

Great work from Debra and IFPAC .I hope it helps in your struggle to protect Pike.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:09 pm 

What happens now John? Surely they have to stop gillnetting pike from the so called " trout loughs" now. How can they justify destroying the " native" pike in these loughs in order to please the trout men. It can,t be allowed to continue . They have no excuses left. They were wrong all along about pike not belonging in the loughs and they should have the balls to stand up and say .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:48 pm 

craigcollins wrote:
What happens now John? Surely they have to stop gillnetting pike from the so called " trout loughs" now. How can they justify destroying the " native" pike in these loughs in order to please the trout men. It can,t be allowed to continue . They have no excuses left. They were wrong all along about pike not belonging in the loughs and they should have the balls to stand up and say .

Its not as simple as that. Authorities have always wanted to keep and develop certain lakes as wild brown trout fisheries. To do that they say that they need to keep pike numbers under control. I have just cleared you so that you can view the private catch report area which you can view when logged in. Have a look at Dr Martin O Gradys report on the need to control pike on the Western Lakes. From memory I dont think he used the introduced species bit as an argument against pike at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:21 am 

I think the situation in the west will take a long long time to change. I heard (unconfirmed) of two pike culling compations within the last couple of months where there were some nice pike killed. I also heard, and again this is unconfirmed, that there was an IFI staff member in attendance, wheather this was in an official capacity I dont know. So its business as usual on the Great Lakes and two big fingers to pike anglers and the rest of right minded people.

Regards

Karl

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:19 pm 

This is indeed great news. Congratulations to Debbie and all involved in producing such a comprehensive and irrefutable study.

Hopefully this will filter down to those still intent on culling and netting. As Karl has said in the previous post, its business as usual on the "managed brown trout fisheries" with nets due to go down and pike culling exemptions still being granted. If this stops and a realistic approach taken by all, our once world famous pike waters might just be worth fishing again in 10years time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:58 pm 

The second last paragraph interesting
http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/ ... 51260.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:34 pm 

"As an invasive species, which eats trout, it is often persecuted. If, however, the pike arrived here without human assistance, it has to be reclassified as a native species and protected accordingly".

The above paragraph will certainly annoy certain groups, who have been persecuting Pike for decades, and have been using the excuse that Pike are an 'alien pest' that need 'eradicating'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 am 

Lets be clear about this.
An Invasive Species is something that invades a habitat in order to live off it. If it is not dealt with,it will destroy that habitat.
As it is proven that Pike are native to Lakes and Rivers for thousands of years,they are being invaded,by other species

I agree with Fergal that they have been hunted and killed in order to make room for other Fish to flourish.
There is as far as I am aware no evidenence that Pike solely chaseTrout,and no proof from all the surveys held over the years by the IFI that they do.
Game Fish eg: Salmon migrate, and come back to spawn,Sea trout and Rainbow Trout can all survive in Fresh or Salt Water.
Sense has to prevail here between all Fishing organisations,to come to certain agreements.
The Reality is Pike are Native and Part of our History.
I am not hitting out at Game Fishing or any other Fishing,I am only stating my view.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:51 am 

I've used trout (pack) on my last two outings and haven't even had a bloody take with them. Put on a nice little roach and BINGO. Can we add this to all the scientific facts :D :D :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:14 am 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: admin Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next