All times are UTC

Post subject: PIKE ARE NATIVE - IFI
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 pm 

I never thought that I would be able to post this
http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-re ... eland.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: PIKE ARE NATIVE - IFI
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:51 pm 

A change of mindset will take a long time as usual John, but its a great starting point ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:55 pm 

lowdouble wrote:
A change of mindset will take a long time as usual John, but its a great starting point ;)

Debbies report has been signed off by Dr Martin O`Grady and Dr Joe Caffrey

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:52 pm 

That is great news. Now they might leave pike alone. Maybe it's time to put something together to try get the laws on netting change. Also the 50cm rule.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:32 pm 

So would it be mad to assume that our fishery friends over in the west will attribute a bit more respect to our NATIVE pike from here on in ? With scientific backup like this wouldn't it be nice to think that pike might be given a bit more respect .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:07 pm 

Well, one thing is for sure... we should no longer tolerate the old argument that our native trout need to be protected from the introduced invasive pike.

First things first... pike need to recognised and re-classified accordingly, as native. Then we can see what new argument can be thought up to continue to manage trout waters??

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:23 pm 

This is certainly unexpected news. From what I read in the past, I understood according to my limited lay man understanding, that the pike species exhibited negligible genetic differences, throughout the European range anyhow. Debbie’s work, with the assistance of other experts in the field has clearly demonstrated that there is more to Irish pike than I dreamed of, but the truth is that Irish pike are indeed a rich part of our national heritage and for the most part could swim in Irish waters in excess of 4000 years, and maybe approaching 8000 years. This is incredible news, and very much something that I feel the late David Overy would have felt great satisfaction about. The truth is out!

The application of evolving scientific investigation clearly shows that assumptions without irrefutable scientific grounding have no place in the modern management of Irish Fisheries. The study of pike in this manner has been a long time coming, and whatever the results, Debbie’s interest in pike as part of her PHD is very much our gain and indeed Irish pike science’s gain.

Congratulations to Debbie on completing this stage and I wish her well in her continued studies and research.

David

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:00 am 

Well done to all involved with this paper. A lot of hard work, I'm sure, went into this research.
Regards

Karl

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:29 am 

great news all round

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:19 am 

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Debbie on her herculean efforts in composing this commendable study on the origins of Pike in Ireland. Also it would be a disservice on my part not to mention all involved, from IFPAC for not only its physical help through its members, but more importantly its financial help to the project, which I'm sure was much needed, and also, all the individual anglers who went to the bother of providing scale samples for Debbie to analyse.

There have been reports conducted in the past on Pike, but not to the extent and comprehensiveness that Debbie's report goes. It is not only a report on the origins of Pike in Ireland (which overwhelmingly proves that Pike are native to Ireland, which a lot of Pike anglers suspected!) it is a testament and a manifesto for the future to put Pike on an equal footing with other species, as not only part of our natural heritage, but as an indispensable and respected part of the native biodiversity of Ireland.

I hope now that this study will give pause for so called anglers to give the respect Pike deserve within our environment and not treated as some sort of vermin that need to be eradicated.

Regards,

Fergal.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: admin Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next