It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Poaching Hot Line
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm 

In December 2010 Inland Fisheries Ireland launched its national 24 Hour Confidential Phone Line: 1890 34 74 24 or for easier recall 1890 FISH 24. The hotline simplifies the reporting of incidences of illegal fishing, water pollution and invasive species. The public can call IFI any time they witness illegal fishing or discover a water pollution event. Receiving timely information is critical to apprehending those responsible for damaging fish stocks or fish habitat. The public’s help is also being sought to prevent the spread of invasive species, which can cause millions of euros of damage to the aquatic environment.

Last year 478 calls were made to IFI’s 24hr hotline. 220 of these calls were to report suspected illegal fishing and a further 133 to report incidences of pollution. In 7 instances calls were made to alert staff to the presences of possible invasive species.

Sincere thanks go to all those anglers and members of the public who took the time to call 1890 34 74 24.

We encourage anglers to remain vigilant and to continue to ring the Hotline 1890 34 74 24 with any illegal fishing reports, pollution reports or sightings of invasive species.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Poaching Hot Line
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:21 pm 

Seems a small number of phone calls over the year considering the amount of illegal fishing/pollution that seems to be happening as against the huge amount of angling activity nationally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:19 pm 

They may have had 478 calls but I doubt that they have responded to that many. I made a call last year from shannonbridge regarding illegal fishing and waited for more than 2 hours for a response only to be told that there was nobody available to attend the scene, bring back "lakewatch" I think that our lakewatch iniataive did more to discourage illegal fishing in the Cavan/Monaghan area than the IFI 24 hour hotline could ever do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm 

rorymcallorum wrote:
They may have had 478 calls but I doubt that they have responded to that many. I made a call last year from shannonbridge regarding illegal fishing and waited for more than 2 hours for a response only to be told that there was nobody available to attend the scene, bring back "lakewatch" I think that our lakewatch iniataive did more to discourage illegal fishing in the Cavan/Monaghan area than the IFI 24 hour hotline could ever do.

+1 on that Rory. Image

Offline Profile