Angling In Ireland Forum Index Angling In Ireland

Welcome to The Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs message board

You are invited to use this message board to discuss angling topics, however you must register in order to make posts to the forums

Please be advised that postings that are argumentative and those that may detract from the enjoyment of other users of this forum will be removed.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low water levels on Blessington

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRIAN CRAWFORD
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Low water levels on Blessington Reply with quote

Was up on Blessington yesterday and the water levels are the lowest I have ever seen up there.
I know this is a result of the extreme winter we had.
Went for a good hike around and not alot of suitable spawning areas for the pike this year again!!!!!!
I wonder what kind of an effect this will have on future pike stocks in the future.
Either way things looking bleak up there at the moment.
jkchambers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pike stocks have been very low for many years.
Around a year ago at a meeting of the ESB Blessington lake users committee the lack of pike was discussed. Some of the trout guys put forward the theory that spawning just hasnt successfully taken place for the last number of years due to wildly fluctuating water levels at spawning time. ESB said that they would try to hold levels steady for 4 weeks from the time that Peadar told them spawning was in full swing. However if the the water levels are really low there just wont be any suitable spawning areas with the overflow being a possible exception.
les
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Brian, as you know the major spawning areas that we knew years ago would be flooded for months,this just does not happen anymore as the demand for water in Dublin is just too high and Mays and the Quarry are nearly a thing of the past.Most of the rest of the lake is not suitable for spawning as its mostly sandy bottom.
pat byrne
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove past the overflow yesterday on way to Cavan and lake is totally down. What I thought were ducks were in fact rocks/ stones in the mud - that will tell you how low it is. It is like a mud flat at present.
Water level at one of the lowest I've seen in a LONG time and I pass the overflow at least 3 times a week.
Unless there is a big build up of water very soon there will be NO spawning at the overflow- dont know what 'Mays Bay' is like, but it's not looking good for future pike stocks- for the very few spawning hens left there is nowhere for them to go as the water level is more than 4 metres from cover.
Its a sad looking sight to see what was once a fantastic fishery go literally ' down the drain' with no chance of recovery.
Pat
Tommy Winder
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Newbridge club stopped fishing their club competitions a few years ago because we were catching nothing.I have fished 7 competitions [42hrs] and not a thing Sad Sad .There is to much water been taken out of lake to supply Dublin and else where.
BRIAN CRAWFORD
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt water levels affecting spawning pike is the top of the ESB agenda at the moment Sad
I personally did well on Blessington in 2006/07/08 just the last couple seasons have been really bad I am just wondering that these low water levels at spawning time are only now starting to take their toll on pike stocks ie spawn bound pike etc
Its just getting harder to pay the 30 euro permit and 50 euro boat permit when results are so poor.
BRIAN CRAWFORD
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water levels are way up the frogs are spawning and I heard there was a couple of good fish caught recently so maybe things arent as bad as I taught Very Happy
Magnus
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was up there today for a couple of hours and the level has dropped off again very dramtically and it looks very recent. So much for the ESB and their efforts to keep the water level up at this critical time of the year.

And as a bye-note I'd like to add the the amount of rubbish around the shoreline is a disgrace. How can some people choose to go to such a beautiful place and leave it in such a mess? I took away a black bin liner full of rubbish away with me and the place still looked like a tip!
Tommy Winder
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus, the E.S.B. have been letting off floods on the river liffey for the last few weeks and as you say they dont care about water levels for the pike Twisted Evil.As for the rubbish its sickening to look at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Pike Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: