Angling In Ireland Forum Index Angling In Ireland

Welcome to The Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs message board

You are invited to use this message board to discuss angling topics, however you must register in order to make posts to the forums

Please be advised that postings that are argumentative and those that may detract from the enjoyment of other users of this forum will be removed.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blessington Competition on Sunday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Club Competitions, Events, Etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkchambers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Blessington Competition on Sunday Reply with quote

Newbridge and District Pike Anglers Club are holding their Annual Big Pike Competition on Poulaphuca Resevoir on Sunday next . Total prize fund is 1200 with the captor of the biggest pike getting 500.
Entry fee is 20 adults and 10 juniors.
Details from Tommy on 087 9605847
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to everyone tomorrow
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear there is good support for the competition with lots of anglers out. Hopefully some nice pike will be caught.
delsalmon
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard unconfirmed reports that a 13 and 15 were caught. Anyone know the results yet?
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Pat Dunphy from Durrow won it with a pike of 15-12 but I dont know anything after that.
Tommy Winder
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results were 1st 500 euro Pat Dunphy 15lb 12oz.2nd 200 euro Steven Hillard 4lb 10oz.3rd 100 euro Miroslav Svajlenin 4lb 6oz.4th 50 euro Eugene Demsey 2lb 10oz.2 more anglers got 25euro vouchers.90 anglers turned out for the day.On behalf of the club i would like to thank everyone that fished.[/url]
pat byrne
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tommy
How many fish were caught for the 90 anglers?
Very interested in Blessington as we used to fish it a lot, but have found over the past few years catch rates have been abysmal. It had got to the stage that if we had a touch it was classed as a good day. With fourth place going to a 2-10 it seems to have declined further.
I have bought a permit for this year , but think I will be using it to target roach.
Pat
Tommy Winder
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat there were only 9 fish caught,Steven that came 2nd had 3 fish 4lb 10oz, 4lb 6oz, and 4lb 3oz.Miroslav had a 1lb fish along with his 4lb 6oz and the other 2 fish were 2lb 5oz and 1lb 7oz.Its such a big lake you wouldnt no whats in it,but pike fishing has got very bad.I have fished 7 competition there with out a fish.
ole_esox
Experienced Fisherman
Experienced Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done pat!....great result on a tough venue...
Fisherman: "Hey, pal! You've been standing there watching me fish for three hours! Why don't you get a rod and reel and do some fishing yourself?" Onlooker: "No, thanks. I don't have the patience for it"
jkchambers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat byrne wrote:
Hi Tommy
How many fish were caught for the 90 anglers?
Very interested in Blessington as we used to fish it a lot, but have found over the past few years catch rates have been abysmal. It had got to the stage that if we had a touch it was classed as a good day. With fourth place going to a 2-10 it seems to have declined further.
I have bought a permit for this year , but think I will be using it to target roach.
Pat
A guy posted on the FTI message board the he fished Blesso Sunday away from the comp was being held and had 3 pike, all doubles to 18 lbs.
pat byrne
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pat there were only 9 fish caught, .I have fished 7 competition there with out a fish."

Hi John,
Are you still involved with the Blessington users group? If so, are there any plans to address the decline in pike stocks - maybe a restocking programme from the fisheries boards ' predator control' activities.
From what I remember there was over 3000 permits sold last year and allowing for a small percentage of game permits I would say that the coarse permit was in the majority . Can anyone tell me what the ESB is doing with this money other than restocking it with rainbows for the small percentage of trout anglers with nothing done for the pike/coarse angler.
I am aware of the costs of policing the amenity, but even if there was no fishing the ESB would still need personnel to patrol the shores and monitor car parks etc. This decline in fish stocks is not new as is been happening over the past 5- 7 years and whenever it is raised all we get is stories of a few doubles being caught .
The Sunday competition shows how bad the fishing has become with out of 90 anglers on the shore only 6 of them caught fish and only for the fine fish of 15-12 it would have been a very poor result with fish of 4 lbs. in the winnings.
I think its about time that the anglers who pay to fish this water should have a say in how their money is spent
Pat
jkchambers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat with his 15 pounder

The presentation
pat byrne
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish - is a while since I had something similar from there.

John,
Are you still involved with the Blessington Users Group ? - I know you were a few year back
Pat
pat byrne
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Are you still involved with the Blessington Users Group ? - I know you were a few year back
Pat
jkchambers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat byrne wrote:

John,
Pat
Yes, though there are only 1 or 2 meetings per year. I did post on this issue before but I think a lot of posts under pike chat were lost a few months ago. The lack of pike was discussed and most thought that it came down to the lack of successful spawning. I must say that representatives of the 2 trout clubs were also genuinely concerned and would support measures to help increase pike numbers. There are limited areas were pike can spawn and in recent years the water levels have gone up and down like a yo yo. At a meeting last Jan (I think) the ESB said that they would do their best to try to keep levels steady once Peadar could confirm spawing had started in earnest. At the meeting Peadar confirmed that by far the largest permit money came from pike anglers. I must contact Peadar to ask him how he thinks spawning went.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Club Competitions, Events, Etc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: