Angling In Ireland Forum Index Angling In Ireland

Welcome to The Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs message board

You are invited to use this message board to discuss angling topics, however you must register in order to make posts to the forums

Please be advised that postings that are argumentative and those that may detract from the enjoyment of other users of this forum will be removed.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dissolved Oxygen - CFB report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Pike Conservation & Welfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Dissolved Oxygen - CFB report Reply with quote

Please click here for a fairly hastily put together report on the results from our preliminary experiment conducted during the pike competition on Lough Garadice.

Dr Joe Caffrey
Senior Research Officer
Central Fisheries Board

Last edited by admin on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading. What would the results have been like on a hot summers day ?
Pikeman
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is now my opinion as it has always been that no Pike should be held in tanks with "Aeration" or no "Aeration" full stop.

It is now time for the I. F. P. A. C. to look more seriously at boat competitions for Pike and to disassociate the Federation completely from them.

Boat competitions is a lazy anglers way of fishing and is no sport what so ever.

Pike man.
======
FloatTubeAddict
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a link to the report that I failed to notice?
Or can somebody please PM it to me.
thx
Norm
FloatTubeAddict
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so .... Got it now. Very Happy
N~
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Dr Joe Caffrey of the Central Fisheries Board will be able to attend the Federations September committee meeting to go through his findings in detail. This should prove interesting and informative.
jkchambers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Joe Caffrey wants to carry out another test this month. It would help if he did it during a competition as he would like to put around 20 pike into barrells at the same time. Any competitions coming up on a venue where we would have a good catch of pike ??????
markbarrettpac
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez is that 20 pike in the same barrel, or twenty pike in seperate barrels, pairs etc?

having had a good read of the report, theres certainly one point that I would like to ask.

In the report it states that the aeration used was that similar to which the competitors were using, what type is that? After all if thats the most commonly used livebait aeration, the little 6 volt things then it was never going to be sufficient, they are barely so for a bucket, let alone a barrell.

If the aeration that was used was insufficient, then surely there the fault is with the aeration unit, not with the method itself. a proper 12v aerator of the likes of a power bubbles would be more man for the job, and a more meaningfull experiment would be achieved through these.

However there's always going to be some "questioning" of these results, particularly in light of the way that they were released to Irish angler, accompanied by an email from a certain Mr Turner proclaiming that "common sense prevails".

Sorry but theres been a complete lack of common sense shown in the interpretation of the report. It only highlights the case that there is no real will amongst the organisers of these matches, and in part thsoe participants that were inadequately equipped to aerate their barrells, (those that actually chose to so do as of course it wasnt compulsary) to see beyond the euro's on offer to the winners.

What price the golden goose though?
Brian Donnelly
Weathered Fisherman
Weathered Fisherman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong(but i doubt it)but i think there will be more than one barrel.Not even Dr Caffery would be silly enough to do such a thing,
1 or 2 fish is bad enough,but 20,surely surely not Mark.
markbarrettpac
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i would hope not Brian but..

"Dr Joe Caffrey wants to carry out another test this month. It would help if he did it during a competition as he would like to put around 20 pike into barrells at the same time."

its a bit open to interpretation Shocked
Brian Donnelly
Weathered Fisherman
Weathered Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm!!

I do believe the operative word here Mark is barrels.
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Joe wants to use lots of barrels with a max of 2 fish in any. It would be good to try different strength aerators. I know that he wants to get all the pike into the barrels at the same time so that results will be properly comparable.
Paddy Lynch
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark comments about the type of aerator used is very valid.
Another concern I would have are the threshold limits used, both are based on levels that are suitable for pike in normal circumstances and do not consider the increased oxygen requirement of pike that have been caught on rod and line and played to the net. It seems common sense that a if pike is avoiding an area with a DO of 3 mg/l on in normal circumstances then once exhausted a far higher DO level would be required.

I did not see Richard Turners email in the Irish angler but it seems that he has interpreted the reports finding to support that aeration is not necessary, is this man a moron? With the findings as they stand the only conclusion can be that barrels with or without aeration must be banned unless a suitable aeration mechanism is found in the forthcoming study.
markbarrettpac
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy Lynch wrote:
Mark comments about the type of aerator used is very valid.
Another concern I would have are the threshold limits used, both are based on levels that are suitable for pike in normal circumstances and do not consider the increased oxygen requirement of pike that have been caught on rod and line and played to the net. It seems common sense that a if pike is avoiding an area with a DO of 3 mg/l on in normal circumstances then once exhausted a far higher DO level would be required.

I did not see Richard Turners email in the Irish angler but it seems that he has interpreted the reports finding to support that aeration is not necessary, is this man a moron? With the findings as they stand the only conclusion can be that barrels with or without aeration must be banned unless a suitable aeration mechanism is found in the forthcoming study.

Paddy,

you wont see Richard turner's email in the press, far be it for him to actually put his name to anything. No better off to send the report through to Irish Angler with an attached aside that "common sense prevails" to try and influence the magazine than to stand up for what he supposedly believes in.

I will say one thing for Mark Lichtenburg, and that is as an odious little shite that he is, at least he has the balls to put his name to his delusional rantings Very Happy
NEIL TODD
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy Lynch wrote:

Paddy, as Richard is a member of one of IFPAC's affiliated Clubs, and posts on here infrequently, maybe he would be willing to comment himself, and explain in-depth the scientific basis for his interpretation of the CFB report?

It seems that when there is a possiblity of Moist1 (why not post under your real name?) being challenged by some of the best and most experienced fisheries scientists in the UK and Ireland, he goes strangely quiet. Moists1 seems to enjoy playing to a gallery of the uncaring, or the ignorant (in the literal sense- ie to those who dont have the background to interpret this study for what it is, both scientifically and politically.) This whole episode reeks of CFB political chicanery, greed, ignorance, and exploitation, in my opinion.

Ask yourself why the CFB are happy to be involved in this study, as I've said before. Not to conserve Pike, thats for sure!!

The only way is a truly independent study. Are you going to get it from CFB/DCAL?

But I think the silence speaks for itself.

http://pacregion111northernirelandsouth.****/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Pike Conservation & Welfare All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: