Angling In Ireland Forum Index Angling In Ireland

Welcome to The Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs message board

You are invited to use this message board to discuss angling topics, however you must register in order to make posts to the forums

Please be advised that postings that are argumentative and those that may detract from the enjoyment of other users of this forum will be removed.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kILLING OF PIKE ON RIVER INNEY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Pike Conservation & Welfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G Donohue
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: kILLING OF PIKE ON RIVER INNEY Reply with quote

Yesterday i was on the Inney with Fran and we met 4 anglers not Irish. we talked to them for a couple of minutes but they said they had no english.One of the men had hidden a bag under his coat back from the river so i asked them what was in the bag. eventually they said fish. as they were using pike rods i knew it had to be pike. There English was getting better. I asked them to open the haversack and helped them at this point. they were getting a little aggressive and tried to push me into the river. I opened 4 bags containing 3 pike each some still alive and passed them to Fran as he was trying to revive them. As we did this some of the men attacked myself and Fran again. One of these men had grabbed a 5th bag with fish in it and flung it into the river. At this point they decided to make there get away as Fran was calling the Garda and the fisheries board. I contacted Paul B from the C.F.B. who tried to get in contact with the Shannon R.F.B. Rory arrived as these men headed into the forest so we tried to follow them back to there car and get a reg number. but was unsuccessful as they sped off. The most aggressive one hid in the forest and doubled back to try and get the fish but Fran scared him off. Matt Nolen did contact us from the fisheries board and will be keeping an eye on things over the while.
Brian Donnelly
Weathered Fisherman
Weathered Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play to yourself and Fran,but you gotta be careful with these feckers.
Pikeman
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done G. D. & Fran,
====================
But as Brian has said you have got to be very careful of these people, as you could end up in the river,(and I don't mean for a swim).

Pike man.
======
richie maher
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff god,was talking to you on the phone the day after this happened,as i said in our conservation laws have to be set up for this culling,and i mean culling of these fish,incidents like this are passing round the fishing world,people are seeing this at first hand and others are word of mouth,its a desgrace,with the same ould we should be doing this to the should be doing that crap,i think that before long it will be too late.i fish a small tench lake outside ardee and a friend of mine pulled a net that stretched right across the lake,it turned my stomach,two years ago an angler could fill a net of tench,my own son caught his first tench from this lake,last season the tench werent there in the numbers they should be,i wonder why,
Rory McAllorum
Weathered Fisherman
Weathered Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add to this to say, its a good job that these guys did not turn really nasty as even though the Garda and The Shannon Board were called nobody turned up to help.

These guys had about 12 pike in the rucksack and I would imagine that it is not the first time that they have done this, they knew that what they were doing was against the law, but with no law to take them to account (because they were all at the boat competition on the Shannon) these people are effectively above the law.

It is getting really frustrating to be out fishing every week only to be faced with this rubblish. It seems as though it is going to be down to the anglers on the ground to do something about the magnitude of what we are currently experiencing on our lakes and rivers, because, it sure looks like the powers that be don't want to know.

What would have happened if Godfrey, Fran or myself had been seriously injured, would it have taken something like this scenario to get the Garda to take this situation seriously.

Rory
G Donohue
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your support on this issue, if we do not deal with this problem soon we will have very little to fish for. May be pressure from anglers to our T.D's can have an effect, something will have to be done as our sport is being ruined by these people and they don't give a hoot. I have been fishing for 30 + years and had good fishing for most of them but over the last 6 or so years numbers of pike have dropped. My self and my friends used to catch big bags of fish on the canals up to 3 years ago 40 to 50 pike between us in a session ad now we might only have 10 or 12 and i do not think my ability is lacking. Plenty of information has been made available in all languages so as every body knows the laws as they stand. These laws even allow for the taking of a fish for the table but it does not seem to be enough for them. Not all of our non national friends kill all the fish they catch some even put them all back but these people are few and far between.
Brian Donnelly
Weathered Fisherman
Weathered Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the words of Elton John;

It's a sad sad situation,and it's gettin' more and more obsurd. Crying or Very sad
TheGreatJC
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This going to get worse before it gets better. As our friends find the better spots and get better at 'catching', the amount of fish killed will get much worse. This allied with the outrageous amount of litter being left on the bank will make our sport more and more difficult.
We need a consolidate approach from all angelrs to sort this out. John Chambers, maybe something channeled through the ACI would be a start?
jkchambers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A committee member of the Federation was awakened with a phone call at 8-30 on Saturday morning. He was told to forget thinking about going after poachers on the Inny and to stay away. The caller gave the message and hung up. He was NOT a non national. We have heard about some Irish guys netting the Inny some time ago.
Pikeman
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got to ask the question, What are the I.F.P.A.C. going to do about this?
Are yous going to sit back and watch the fish in our waters disappear in nets by N.Ns. and cowboys out to make a quick Euro at all our expense and let me also state this is not alone coarse fish, It is also trout, salmon, and all species of fish.
It is now time for the Pike, Coarse, Trout, Salmon anglers of Ireland and the fishery boards to come together and stop this bloody charade once and for all.

Pike man.
======
jkchambers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone call has been reported to the Gardai who will investigate.
I raised this issue at the recent A.G.M. of the Angling Council of Ireland and will bring it up again at the next A.C.I. committee meeting. All Federations agree that our waters need to be better protected. The fisheries boards are the bodies charged with this job but their resources are not up to doing a comprhensive job. This brings us back to anglers taking a much more proactive role in protecting our fisheries. In this regard we need more private waterkeepers and waterkeepers appointments and powers needs to be reviewed as there are some major grey areas. In this regard I am in the process of drawing up a paper on this subject for approval be the fisheries boards and submission to the Minister. Hopefully, he will make the changes that are necessary.
pbyrne
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Large nets on the Shannon Reply with quote

A very large net was removed today by Waterways Ireland from below Killaloe. The net was so extensive that it wa flagged by WI as a navigation hazard interrupting cruisers etc. on the river. The notice from WI is below, it would seem nowhere is safe. Note that this action was taken by WI and not the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board.

"The following message just in from WI.
Notice #16 referred to a large net that had been strung in the navigation about 300m below Killaloe Bridge."
jkchambers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poaching is just getting completely out of hand. What do we do about the situation ?????????
Biffo
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK,
We need funds to police our waters. Fisheries boards are undermanned and under resourced.
This leaves only one option - an island wide rod licence to be used to fund an island wide fisheries protection and preservation force.
In the meantime we should take a leaf from the STOP NOW campaign and target all local politicians and make them aware of the extent of the problem. First the local councillors then the TDs and let the elected polticians do something for the grassroots - for a change.
I don't favour a tax on fishing - but if that is what it takes then lets get on with it.
Tight lines,
Biffo
TheGreatJC
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkchambers wrote:
Poaching is just getting completely out of hand. What do we do about the situation ?????????

Permit/Licence call it what you will to finance more fishery officers.
TheGreatJC
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
The ACI MUST be used to force the govenments hand. The IFPAC and th NCFFI must lead the way here NOW. I'd suggest this becomes top of the agenda for the next ACI meeting.g
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A registration system where it would be compulsory to display your badge with your name on it does have merit. If you dont display you break the law. If you litter of fish illegally you can be identified. In these sort of cases it could be that the angler be banned from fishing.
Some of the problems I would see arising would be owners refusing to have to wear identification on their own land, the guys who will refuse because they would see it as infringing on their right to fish state laws, where the registration fees go , who would administer the whole thing etc etc
Biffo
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Fiddling while Rome burns Reply with quote

JK,
Stop wringing your hands and do something.
Yes, there will be problems with introducing any new system.
That should not deter you from leading the way.
All genuine anglers should support the saving of our leisure fishing.
We need to make a start now or it will be too late.
Tight lines.
Biffo
wayne
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all you guys in Ireland for trying to address the issue of poaching. I read about the situation via the Angling Times. The situation is getting out of hand all over In Ireland as well GB. Here we have the closed season on the rivers but many of the FN's are fishing even though signs are appearing everywhere.
I caught 3 lads unloading and going onto our local river, Phoned the Environment Office, they did send someone but unfortunately the B****** where long gone before they arrived.
God was lucky to get away without injury but someone will get injured as the most seem to have knives Etc.
Over here non can speak English when asked for a Licence but it amazes me that they ask for baits in English.
I think tackle dealers should start taking some ownership when selling tackle but I suppose all they will do is go to Argos.
Keep up the good work and see yuo all in October.
jkchambers

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in the Uk most waters are controlled by clubs etc while hear nobody can stop them fishing most waters here. That said, we have no problem with NNs fishing within the law. However, a sizeable number of them appear to be fishing normally but slip keepnets etc into cars etc when nobody is watching or when packing up. Some can be very barefaced about it. One consolation is that some of our judges now seem to be sitting up and realising the damage being done to our fisheries and handing out large fines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Pike Conservation & Welfare All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: