Angling In Ireland Forum Index Angling In Ireland

Welcome to The Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs message board

You are invited to use this message board to discuss angling topics, however you must register in order to make posts to the forums

Please be advised that postings that are argumentative and those that may detract from the enjoyment of other users of this forum will be removed.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gill Nets out again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> IFPAC News & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Gill Nets out again Reply with quote

Gill nets are out again on various "trout" lakes.
The main lakes gillnetted are Sheelin, Conn, Cullin, Corrib and Mask. On the latter two we are told that all pike over 90cms are returned but all other pike are killed. On the other lakes every effort is made to transfer healthy pike. We have tried for many years to get them to stop killing on Corrib and Mask and transfer but without success.
Below is a snap taken on Corrib of 2 IFI staff checking the nets
ole_esox
Experienced Fisherman
Experienced Fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me sick
Fisherman: "Hey, pal! You've been standing there watching me fish for three hours! Why don't you get a rod and reel and do some fishing yourself?" Onlooker: "No, thanks. I don't have the patience for it"
G Donohue
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: re gill nets Reply with quote

If they continue to kill pike on these lakes we should stop paying any licence until they stop the killing of fish
newgrangepiker
Weathered Fisherman
Weathered Fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said God
Melanzyk
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: re gill nets Reply with quote

G Donohue wrote:
If they continue to kill pike on these lakes we should stop paying any licence until they stop the killing of fish

It wont work Godfrey. If You will not pay a licence they will fine You. You wont win with them. It's very sad.
G Donohue
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: re nets Reply with quote

Well, if they loose money from all who usually pay a licence fee it will hurt there pocket, and maybe then they might think twice about killing all the different species of fish caught in these nets and use diferent methods to capture pike rather than gill netting which is very harsh on the gills of the fish
Dermot Ogle
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: re nets Reply with quote

G Donohue wrote:
use diferent methods to capture pike rather than gill netting which is very harsh on the gills of the fish

They do! Most of the local trout clubs hold catch and kill comps a few times of year and hand the pike carcasses to fisheries staff at the end of the cull. Believe me, that does some damage to gills! Confused
G Donohue
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: re nets Reply with quote

true
D.DENNIS
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it,s an absolute disgrace .is there nothing we can do ? what about the rule that you can only keep one pike under 50 cms.?
pat byrne
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This matter is raised every year the nets go down and nothing is done except postings on various forums. Anglers have a unique opportunity this year to voice their concerns as a new minister for agri/ fisheries/tourism will be appointed tomorrow. Can the fed not organise the many 1000's of affiliated members to email/write to him/ her expressing outrage and threatening to withhold permit fees etc.The dept will soon take notice if 1000's of emails start to arrive in the new ministers office within days of taken office. I'm sure whoever gets the position will know nothing about the plight of our pike stocks, but if their mailbox gets clogged up up mail they will soon take notice- especially with the mention of withholding fees etc. LETS DO IT!!!
D Laffan
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and so it begins Rolling Eyes same old same old just a different day,,been down this road so many times ,pike killing comps under the banner of "culling" ,pretty soon they wont have any to cull.sick of it
Dermot Ogle
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pat byrne wrote:
This matter is raised every year the nets go down and nothing is done except postings on various forums. Anglers have a unique opportunity this year to voice their concerns as a new minister for agri/ fisheries/tourism will be appointed tomorrow. Can the fed not organise the many 1000's of affiliated members to email/write to him/ her expressing outrage and threatening to withhold permit fees etc.The dept will soon take notice if 1000's of emails start to arrive in the new ministers office within days of taken office. I'm sure whoever gets the position will know nothing about the plight of our pike stocks, but if their mailbox gets clogged up up mail they will soon take notice- especially with the mention of withholding fees etc. LETS DO IT!!!

You make a lot of sense there Pat, other angling groups seem to be far better at rallying the troops than pike anglers, don't ask me why! The sea bass anglers got a lot of support to ensure that the nets men didn't get their way. I even signed a petition, (I never fished for sea bass in my life). But when it comes to pike anglers, we are all pulling in different directions, sometimes just to spite each other!

It is a great time for pike anglers to get their point across, I feel that there is a lot of support out there generally to stop the western nets.
I don't ever remember a proper campaign or a petition being set up to highlight the issue.
D..
Magnus
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's the same old tune just a different year.
I have to say though, and please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not for one minute advocating the predator control policies of the IFI, but although you might not agree with it, can you honestly say that their efforts make any difference to the quality of pike fishing on these lakes?

Think about it - 400lb + hauls of pike by some of the Fishmaniak guys off the Corrib for the past two years. A good friend of mine had a 200lb haul off Mask the year before last. Kenny Sloane seems to be making a decent living from guiding for pike on Conn and surrounding lakes, (mostly stocked with pike from Conn and Cullin).

It's all very well giving out about how terrible it is that this is going on on these lakes, but as I mentioned in a post on the same topic last year, how many Federation members have actually fished for pike on these lakes?

I have, and I can tell you that for the most part, especially during the winter months, you'd be hard pressed to meet another living soul never mind an angler!
Magnus
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An another thing, if you're so terribly put out about this, and again I'm not advocating what the IFI do, how come there has been so little interest from this forum for the new pike angling club in the West? If you're so concerned about what's happening on the Western lakes, why not join this new club and give them a mandate to lobby the IFI. They won't be able to do much lobbying if they only have a few members!

And if you haven't fished these lakes for pike, do yourself a favor. Hire a guide for a day and give it a go. You might be pleasantly surprised at just how ineffective the IFI are at predator control, (don't let them in on the secret though Smile
ole_esox
Experienced Fisherman
Experienced Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points there Magnus!,
Fisherman: "Hey, pal! You've been standing there watching me fish for three hours! Why don't you get a rod and reel and do some fishing yourself?" Onlooker: "No, thanks. I don't have the patience for it"
Dermot Ogle
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
An another thing, if you're so terribly put out about this, and again I'm not advocating what the IFI do, how come there has been so little interest from this forum for the new pike angling club in the West? If you're so concerned about what's happening on the Western lakes, why not join this new club and give them a mandate to lobby the IFI. They won't be able to do much lobbying if they only have a few members!

And if you haven't fished these lakes for pike, do yourself a favor. Hire a guide for a day and give it a go. You might be pleasantly surprised at just how ineffective the IFI are at predator control, (don't let them in on the secret though Smile

Magnus, who is this directed at Question . FYI, I am well aware of the fishing that's available over here in the west, I have enjoyed many days sport like what you mentioned in your post. I must be honest though, i did wonder how we were able to have such catches with all the nets that are set each year. I had a long conversation with a senior fisheries staff last year, at a slipway on corrib. His point was that their nets are for predator control not to rid the Lough of its pike. It's dreadful to think of all the good pike that are destroyed each year in nets though..
You are right though, the pike fishing is better than what a lot of people might think.
Magnus
Junior Fisherman
Junior Fisherman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not you Dermot, just a general rant.
jkchambers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no permits on any of the lakes where gill netting takes place other than Sheelin. Around 7 or 8 years ago when the Shannon Board started charging coarse anglers a permit to fish the "manages waters " of the Suck and Inny the Federation asked their members to boycott all Shannon Board waters as we could not get confirmation that coarse/pike anglers permit fees would not be spent on gill netting Sheelin. The boycott lasted 2 years and was successful as we did get the guarantees we wanted. Much to our surprise some prominent big pike hunters ignored our boycott calls and kept fishing Sheelin.
We will be meeting IFI shortly and will be pressing the issue once again. I must say that we are getting a lot of support from the Angling Council of Ireland on pike protection issues.
D Hamill
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall John the disappointment shared by a lot of pike and trout anglers at the re-introduction of gillnets in 2007 on Lough Sheelin after their 2/3 absence following the boycott. I recall too that Lough Sheelin was experiencing a significant re-balance of all stocks including roach due to the zebra mussel explosion at the time.

Do you recall the scientific comment in 2005 by the CFB that was mentioned at our meeting with the CFB in 2008, particularly the indication that wild trout increased five fold in five years to 2005 while the cpue of pike decreased by over 60% from the 2004 stock survey to the 2005 stock survey. Incredibly, rather than carry out a more long term analysis of this trend based upon the shifting stock densities and other existing ecological parameters in the lake, the scientific advice if you recall was to bring back gillnetting to prevent the falling pike population from capping the growing trout population. The financial cost in 2007 of this decision was to spend €44,800 of tax payers money to gillnet 675 pike @ €66 per pike. I think there is a spreadsheet somewhere with costs for various fisheries on it.

The scientific comment did state though that the wild trout trend would see a full recovery of the trout stocks in the following five years i.e. to the pre-1970; pre-eutrophication cpue of 4.0. I assume in 2011, this has now been achieved and that the financial cost of the pike removal programme is fully justified and that trout stocks have now fully recovered? Any word John, on this year’s cpue figures for Lough Sheelin? Are we at 4.0 as per Dr. O’ Grady’s scientific comment and projection of 2005?
jkchambers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a seperate thread on Sheelin Stock assessment survey
http://forum.angling-in-ireland.com/viewtopic.php?t=8630
Last year the number of wild brown trout caught was 13. I believe scientific people were very disappointed with this low figure. I think that it has been lower. This years figure is around 3 times that. I hear that pike caught were only around 25% of the number caught last year which was lower than before. Roach stocks have collapsed, possible due to competition from zebra mussels. It is thought that pike stocks are down because of the collapse in roach stocks. I believe the number of pike caught was not much greater than trout caught.
Routine gill netting commenced today (I think). If pike numbers caught are small and numbers of trout caught are similar (as in stock assessment survey) I would not be surprised if the gill netting programme was cut short.
Management of Sheelin along with the rest of the Inny Catchment will be discussed at meetings of the Inny Catchment Management Plan. There is a seperate thread on this. Only club member delegates will be invited as stakeholders. National Federations will not be invited. The Federation has 3 affiliated clubs including Ballyjamesduff. John Crudden is secretary of the club so he will be attending. It so happens that I have long connections with Ballyjamesduff (ring on finger) and have been a member of the club for over 10years so I may also be a club delegate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> IFPAC News & Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: